Thursday 17 June 2010

Oh dear the puppy has gone at both ends...

WARNING: This post is not for the squeamish, however as I had to deal with it, you can at least read about it!


I would like to introduce your to Stewie, he is a 6 month old(?) something(?) puppy. To be honest I can't be very accurate about him as he is a rescue dog. [Now I should explain that by this I mean he has come from an animal rescue centre, he is not a member of the fire brigade as somebody did ask when I said that to them].


He is not the Lurcher/Pointer/Sight Hound we were sort of planning for and he has given us a number of challenges, not least taking anything into the garden to chew (the latest item being a jar of jam...)


Anyway, we had to visit family in North Wales. We live in Wiltshire so this means, on a good day a four hour journey. It seems this was not to be a good day!


I guess I should realise that travelling on a Friday afternoon would lead to difficulties and we hit a massive queue on the motorway. So there we are, 30 degree heat, family in the car in a line of cars which is stretching into the distance... You can imagine the scene.


We get to one of the service stations (home of excellent food and great service... [/irony]) so I ask both Jane and my little boy Sam does anyone need the toilet? No, everyone is fine, so I edge out into the outside lane which is going faster - well going faster until I join it.


This is when we become aware of an aroma in the car... Okay, the car suddenly starts to stink. It is now becoming urgent to get back across three solid lanes of traffic (which I have just taken twenty minutes to get across) and into the service station. Let's just say that there was no gap too small and no opportunity missed and we found ourselves on the slip road to the services.


Of course there is a queue for the car park right back to the motorway, I am not going to hang about so I nip into the HGV park. If you have never done this, don't! Burly lorry drivers don't like tiny cars in their domain and I ignored the stares as I parked up and opened the boot.


Can I just say that I did not know that a small puppy contained so much sick and poo... Including a perfectly formed turd in his water bowl (floating gracefully). It was at this stage I noticed that the lorry drivers seemed to suddenly being more sympathetic (a couple came for a distant peek!)


To cut to the chase, I am so glad I found a few somewhat dry 'wet wipes' in the back of the car (really I could have done with a steam cleaner!) and I have to apologise to who ever empties the dustbin in the HGV park at this service station. The only thing in the boot that could be saved were the puppy (promptly wiped). It was like a dirty protest and I am proud of the effects of the clean up with somewhat limited tools!


Needless to say Stewie was fine after his travel sickness and was perfectly happy all the way home. 


All I can say is that I must be an animal lover... I feel I have been through the ultimate test.


Be happy (and watch where you step!)


Wilf

No comments:

Post a Comment